David and Mary Bowen-Colthurst began building, what is now known as the Waterlily Bay Resort, at the north end of Lakelse Lake, in 1950, and completed construction of the first cabin the same year.
Modern machinery, taken so much for granted in to-day's construction industry, was not available at that time, especially in such a remote location, so land clearing was done with the aid of horses, and much toil and sweat, by both husband and wife.
Travel too, had it's 'anomalies', as evidenced by this photograph of logger Therrien's horses pulling the family car out of a mudhole on the main highway near Usk, east of Terrace.
The journey from Hazelton to Terrace, a distance of only 87 miles, in those days took 2 full days to complete.
David Bowen-Colthurst and Art Kramert bucking with a two-man chainsaw.
The first Cabin under construction.
The Resort gradually took shape and a small row of rental Cabins and a dock were built.
David & Mary Bowen-Colthurst and some early visitor's to the Resort.
Evenings were spent filling and lighting Coleman lanterns for the Cabin guests, because electricity did not come to Waterlily Bay till 1964.
A time consuming, yet very necessary, daily chore, was the splitting of firewood for the Cabin fireplaces, which was then stacked on each of the Cabin porches.
The family also cut and stored lake ice during the Winter months for use in the Summer.
Another service which the Resort provided was a water taxi which was kept busy shuttling local residents and guests to beaches and Cabins around the lake. This became redundant in the early 1980's as road access to these spots improved.
The original Cabins were replaced by new Cottages in 1988, with the biggest improvement being that year-round accommodation then became possible.
Telephone or Fax - (250) 798-2267
E-Mail - email@example.com